Aloo Chop - very spicy mince on crispy mashed potato
Rather than mess around filling the potato balls as with the classic recipe, I just spread a layer of mashed potato on an oven tray, bake it until the potato is getting golden and crispy, then top with the mince add pop for a final 10 minutes to reheat the meat.
for the crispy baked mashed potato
- 500g potatoes
- 25g butter
- Good pinch of salt
- Good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
for the spicy mince
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 inches of freshly grated ginger
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled and crusged
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 450g minced lamb (see variations)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (see variations)
- 3 green cardamom pods, shells removed
- 3 brown cardamom pods, shells removed
- 4 clove buds
- A sliver of cinnamon bark
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons of sweet paprika powder
- 2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of you r favourite chilli sauce
- 5 tablespoons of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- Peel the potatoes, boil for 25 minutes, drain, add butter and salt. Mash and and allow to cool
- Preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
for the baked mashed potatoes
- Once the potatoes have cooled, sprinkle the mash with parsley and nutmeg and mix in the beaten egg. it will be quite liquid at this stage.
- If it's too wet, add a tablespoon of ground yellow cornmeal.
- Grease an oven tray with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- Spread the mashed potato in a thin layer over the tray
- If you're not cooking immediately, place in a cool place until you are ready
for the spicy mince
- Add all of the dried spices to a coffee grinder and grind to a powder
- Add the oil and ghee and cook the onion slices in a wok for 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a further few minutes
- Stir in the meat and fry for a few minutes
- Add the fresh chillies, lemon juice, basil leaves or parsley and chilli sauce and mix really well.
- The mixture does not need any more cooking at this stage and the potato mix and the meat can be prepared ahead of time if needed.
final assembly and cooking
- Place the tray of mashed potato in the oven while it preheats to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Once the oven had reached temperature, pop the tray in the middle of the oven and cook until it is crispy and has a golden colour - obout 15 minutes.
- Spread the meat evenly over the mash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and pop back in the oven for 15 minutes
- Slice up and serve.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.