Ají de Gallina
- 1300g [4 lb] whole chicken
- 120ml [1/2 cup] of olive oil
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 8 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 hot yellow South American chillies (seeds removed): Adjust quantity for individual taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken stock cube
- ¼ loaf of bread
- 110g (¼ lb) of chopped pecans
- 110g (4 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs) boiled rice
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 6 potatoes
- 120g (1/2 cup) black olives
- Remove the parson's nose from the chicken.
- Boil chicken in salted water together with the stock cube. Remove bones and break into bite size pieces, keeping the resulting chicken stock.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and finely chopped chili peppers and add salt and pepper. Fry this until the onions are cooked and golden.
- Soak the bread in two cups of the stock from the boiled chicken and place in a blender for a couple of minutes and then add the resulting liquid to the saucepan.
- Cook slowly for ten minutes. Cook slowly, stirring to thicken.
- Add the chopped pecans, grated cheese, and chicken pieces. Cook until it has a thick creamy texture. About five minutes before serving, add the evaporated milk and continue cooking on low heat.
One fo our Peruvian visitors, Teresa Sánchez notes: "I am Peruvian and I really love cooking. This is one of my favorite dishes and I would like to share with you something that has worked really well. We have a kind of chili that is dried and is called ají mirasol. I mix this kind of chili with the one you have used and it has a delicious flavour.".
I have done a little searching for this chilli and unfortunately can only find suppliers in North and South America, though I will keep looking and I'm sure I will be told if someone finds a UK supplier.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#ajadegallina #chicken #onion #evaporatedmilk #garlic #potato #spanish #olives #chilipepper #potatoes #eggs