When I did my Indian cookery course, we weren't allowed to go any further until we could cook this successfully!
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 75 g basmati rice per person (about ½ cup per person)
- Rinse in a sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear. (To remove excess starch)
- ½ fill a large pan with water and bring to the boil
- Add the rice, bring back to the boil and boil uncovered for 12-15 minutes
- Top up with boiling water if required
- Remove from heat, strain but don't rinse
- Serve hot
Brown rice; increase to cooking time from 12-15 to 35-40 minutes. Tasting regularly to check it's to your liking.
Rice can be cooked before the meal is due to be served, providing it is properly stored and used the same day. Allow the rice to cool and refrigerate until required. Microwave when needed, ensuring it is piping hot. Do not reheat rice that is more than 1 day old or rice that may not have been properly stored.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.