Red onion and roast cherry tomato soup with pesto croutons
An elaborate tomato soup recipe, courtesy of British Onions. This looks like dinner party fare to me!
- 1.25kg/2lb 12oz cherry tomatoes
- 3 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 red onions, finely sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Brown sugar
- 250ml/9floz Vegetable Stock
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Slices of Ciabatta bread, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 220C/375F/ Gas No 5.
- Put the cherry tomatoes, garlic, 2 onions & basil onto a tray & drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt & black pepper.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes until the tomatoes are browned.
- Mix the pesto, 3 tablespoons olive oil & bread together in a bowl, ensuring the bread is evenly covered.
- Spread the croutons onto a baking tray & bake for 5 minutes in the oven with the tomatoes.
- Turn the croutons & bake for a further 5 minutes. Put to one side.
- Put the rest of the olive oil in a pan & gently fry the onions for 10- 15 minutes, add the vinegar & sugar.
- Cook for a further minute.
- Liquidise the roast tomato mixture.
- Add the fried onion & stock.
- Reheat the soup & check the seasoning.
- Serve with pesto croutons.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of British Onions