Old fashioned spicy bread pudding
Not to be confused with bread and butter pudding, this spicy version was often frugal way to use up stale bread. Now it's a good excuse to let bread go stale on purpose.
I prefer this made with brown bread, the way my mum used to make it.
- 225 g (8 oz) brown bread or white bread with the crusts cut off
- 2 teaspoons of mixed spice
- 50 g (2 oz) chopped candied peel
- 110 g (4 oz) sultanas
- 25 g (1 oz) currants
- 25 g (1 oz) raisins
- 3 tablespoons of brandy, whisky or other spirit of your choosing
- 275 ml (10 fl oz) full fat milk
- 50 g (2 oz) of melted butter
- A little olive oil for greasing
- 1 large beaten egg
- 75 g (3 oz) muscovado sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Grated zest of ½ an orange
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Place the dried fruit and your chosen spirit in a bowl and leave for an hour to infuse the flavours.
- Break the bread into 1cm (1/2") pieces a add to a large bowl and leave for 30 minutes to soak.
- In a separate bowl, mix the beaten egg, muscovado sugar, melted butter and mixed spice and beat well to combine.
- Pour this into the milk and bread mixture.
- Beat this mixture really well with a fork so there are no lumps.
- Fold the marinaded fruits, spirit and fruit zest into this mixture.
- Spoon this mixture into a baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with a little freshly grated nutmeg and the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
Serve with hot custard, consume and then find a comfy chair to sleep it off in.
Bread and butter pudding is very different, but it might be what you were searching for
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#grated #zest #oldfashionedspicybreadpudding #spirit #brownbread #nutmeg #muscovadosugar #butter #mixedspice #bread #demerarasugar