Bread and butter pudding
If you have to
Another historic recipe for using up stale bread. Unlike bread pudding, with which this is sometimes confused, this is better made with stale white bread. This tangy version is quite a bit richer than the frugal original, probably Mrs Beeton's bread and butter pudding.
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 8 slices of stale white bread from a smallish loaf
- 50 g (2 oz) currants
- 10 g (1/2 oz) mixed candied peel
- grated zest from half a lemon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 60 ml (2.5 fl oz) double cream
- 275 ml (10 fl oz) full cream milk
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4)
- Lightly grease a backing tray with butter.
- Leaving the crusts on, butter each slice of brad and cut into eight pieces.arrange a layer of bread and sprinkle with half of the currants and candied peel.
- Arrange the remaining bread and sprinkle with the remaining currants and peel.
- Add the double-cream ,milk, sugar, lemon zest and beaten eggs to a bowl and whisk together well.
- Pour this mixture over the layered bread, sprinkle with a little freshly grated nutmeg and bake for 40 minutes.
- Bread and butter pudding (Mum's)
- Bread and butter pudding
- Old fashioned spicy bread pudding - very different, but it might be what you were searching for
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#breadandbutterpudding #butter #currants #grated #bread #candiedpeel #eggs #nutmeg #cream #whitebread #zest