Bread and butter pudding (Mum's)
Another recipe from Mum's scribbled cookery notes, this recipe was one of Dad's favourites too.
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread, preferably stale
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon Muscovado sugar
- 426 ml (3/4 pint) whole milk
- 50 g (2 oz) Dried fruit of choice (sultanas, raisins, currants, chopped dried apricots, Maraschino Cherries)
- 2 free range eggs
- ¼ teaspoons freshly ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Spread all of the butter evenly on the bread and cut each piece into 4
- Place half of the bread, buttered side up into the base of a 900 ml (1.5 pint) oven-proof dish
- Layer with half of the dried fruit and sprinkle with half of the sugar
- Repeat with the remaining bread, fruit and sugar
- Whisk the eggs, milk and spices into a custard and pour over the layered bread
- Bake for 45 minutes by which time the custard should be set
- Bread and butter pudding (Mum's)
- Bread and butter pudding
- Old fashioned spicy bread pudding - very different, but it might be what you were searching for
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.