Bread and butter pudding (Mum's)
Another recipe from Mum's scribbled cookery notes, this recipe was one of Dad's favourites too.
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 4 slices of wholemeal bread, preferably stale
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon Muscovado sugar
- 426 ml (3/4 pint) whole milk
- 50 g (2 oz) Dried fruit of choice (sultanas, raisins, currants, chopped dried apricots, Maraschino Cherries)
- 2 free range eggs
- ¼ teaspoons freshly ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350° F - gas 4), [fan oven 160° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Spread all of the butter evenly on the bread and cut each piece into 4
- Place half of the bread, buttered side up into the base of a 900 ml (1.5 pint) oven-proof dish
- Layer with half of the dried fruit and sprinkle with half of the sugar
- Repeat with the remaining bread, fruit and sugar
- Whisk the eggs, milk and spices into a custard and pour over the layered bread
- Bake for 45 minutes by which time the custard should be set
- Bread and butter pudding (Mum's)
- Bread and butter pudding
- Old fashioned spicy bread pudding - very different, but it might be what you were searching for
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.