Besugo relleno (stuffed bream)
Stuffed sea bream, served throughout Spain as a dish for St Valentine's day. However, bream in general is a traditional Christmas Eve first course.
- 400 g bream - typically 1 bream.
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 g ham, cut into small pieces
- 50 g almonds, skinned
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 50 g raisins
- 2 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- A dash of white wine
- ¼ litre fish or vegetable stock
- Cut the bream in half lengthways, and remove the backbone.
- Hard-boil one egg, and whisk the other one. Chop the boiled egg.
- Mix the ham, the hard-boiled egg, almonds and parsley with a tablespoon of bread crumbs, the beaten egg, pine nuts and raisins.
- Stuff the bream with this mixture and hold together with cocktail sticks.
- Season fish with the salt.
- Place the potatoes in an oven proof dish lie the fish on the top of them.
- Sprinkle the whole thing with oil, lemon juice, wine and broth and finally the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes at 180 C/350 F/Gas 4.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#bream #fish #raisins #breadcrumbs #egg #parsley #potatoes #ham #almonds #pinenuts #juice