Zuppa di minestrone
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon each of dried thyme and oregano
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped or if not in season, 1 x 400g tin of tomatoes, drained
- 125ml red wine
- 110g cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 1.75 litres vegetable stock
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced - about 200g after trimming and peeling
- 2 small waxy potatoes, peeled and diced - about 125g after trimming and peeling
- 1 small turnip, peeled and diced - about 100g after trimming and peeling
- 90g French beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- ½ small cabbage (or a whole sweetheart cabbage, shredded
- 50g orzo, or other small pasta shapes
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- Extra Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and gently sauté the onions, garlic and herbs.
- Stir in the tomatoes and red wine and allow to bubble for a couple of minutes.
- Add the drained cannellini beans and the stock and boil gently (covered) for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots, and 15 minutes later, uncover, and add the potatoes and turnip.
- 10 minutes later, add the French beans, celery, cabbage and orzo.
- After a further 10 minutes, stir in the Parmesan and check seasoning.
- Serve more Parmesan separately.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#zuppadiminestrone #diced #cabbage #garlic #orzo #celery #parmesan #frenchbeans #turnip #parmesancheese #cannellinibeans