Velő leves (Marrow soup)
You can discover more about Hungarian recipes and specialist suppliers here.
- 500 g marrow, peeled, seeded, pithed and grated into a bowl
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 45 ml oil or melted lard
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- Hungarian paprika, to taste
- 60 g walnuts, finely chopped
- Parsley, finely chopped, to taste
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 15 ml white wine vinegar
- 300 ml single cream
- Drain the grated marrow slightly and fry in the oil or lard, with the onions.
- Sprinkle with the paprika, marjoram and a little salt.
- When the onions are half-cooked, add the stock and simmer until the marrow has 'melted' into the liquid.
- Add the walnuts, vinegar and cream and reheat without boiling.
- Serve sprinkled with extra paprika and chopped parsley.
I added a few chopped celery hearts instead of the parsley, together with a big handful of lardons, made from my home smoked bacon.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.