Tuna and mushroom ragout
A quick and simple recipe that uses items you may have in your store cupboard. Using dried mushrooms, you may already have all of the ingredients.
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300 g (11 oz) button mushrooms, wiped (not washed) and sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 x 400g tin tomatoes , chopped
- 3 tablespoons beer or lager or chicken stock
- A splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 x 140g cans tuna chunks, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn
- Heat the butter and the oil in a wok and fry the onions until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes
- Stir in the garlic and mushrooms and fry for another 3 minutes
- Add the flour and cook for a further minute
- Stir in the tomatoes and beer and bring to the boil
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and tuna chunks and simmer and reduce a little, about 6 minutes. Don't stir too much or you will reduce the tuna to mush.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Place in an oven proof dish
- Mix the breadcrumbs with both of the cheeses and sprinkle over the top of the tuna mix
- Gently grill for 5 minutes to melt the cheesy topping
- Spread the torn basil over the top
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.