The world's smelliest cheeses
How they were chosen
During November 2004, Dr Stephen White, senior research officer, Cranfield University (Bedfordshire, UK), conducted an experiment to find the world's smelliest cheese. They utilised 1 electronic analyser and a panel of 19 humans. It is unclear how the 15 were originally chosen. The worst stinkers were all washed rind cheeses.
- Cows' milk, from Normandy, aged 6 weeks
- Cows' milk, from Normandy, minimum age 21 days
- Cows' milk, from Alsace Lorraine, aged 3 weeks
- Cows' milk, from Normandy, aged 90 days
- Goats' milk, from the Provence region, aged 1-2 weeks
- Cows' milk, from Burgundy, aged 4-6 weeks
- Cows' milk, from Italy, aged 2 years
- Cows' milk, from French Alps, aged 2 months
- Sheep's milk, from Basque region, aged 3 months
- Cows' milk, from UK, aged 6-24 months
This data originated from a Guardian article (November 2004)
Calories in different varieties and various types of cheeses
The number of calories in various types of cheese is very similar when you compare your cheese to a similar types of cheese.
For example, almost cheeses that are similar to Cheddar cheese have around 400 calories per 100g
If the The world's smelliest cheeses is not listed below, select a similar type of cheese from the list below to get a rough idea for the number of calories in The world's smelliest cheeses.
The calorie lists are sortable by clicking the up and down arrows in the heading columns
|Cheese type||Calories per 100g|
|Queso blanco cheese||310|
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Errors and omissions
If you are a cheese producer and your cheese does not appear to be listed on Cookipedia or the information on your cheese is incorrect or out of date, please use the Contact the Editor page to send us a message and we will update the information on your cheese.
#cowsmilk #aoc #theworldssmelliestcheeses #cheese #france #roquefort #goatsmilk #sheepsmilk #reblochon #briedemeaux #dairyproducts