Stoemp (Belgian mash with vegetables)
In a way, Stoemp is similar to the British bubble and squeak, except that you can use any vegetable to replace the cabbage. This recipe is for a carrot Stoemp, but other popular vegetables are Brussels sprouts and leeks,
- 500g carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 500g potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 75 g butter
- Boil the carrots and potatoes in two separate pans, until very tender
- In a large frying pan, sauté the onion in 40g of the butter.
- When soft, add the carrots and cooked potatoes and stir.
- Add salt and pepper.
- After 5 minutes, crush the vegetables but not so as to completely mix the two main ingredients, while adding the remaining butter.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve very hot.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#potatoes #butter #carrots #onion #vegetables #stoempbelgianmashwithvegetables #carrot #cabbage #fat #boiledorsimmered #bubbleandsqueak