Spicy curry puffs
I remember this.
This recipe makes enough filling for 8 huge curry puffs. I've divided up the cooked filling, vacuum sealed in '2 puff' portions and frozen them. I slow cooked the filling but it would be nearly as good if it was just simmered for an hour.
You could probably use less puff pastry, but as it's so nice why not use more of it!
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 tablespoon ghee or vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Cock Brand curry paste
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 mug of frozen peas
- 1 Oxo cube, crumbled
- A little water
for the puffs
- 1 pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
- Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well.
- Add a little water to loosen the mixture. Not too much as you don't want it to be too wet inside the puff pastry. Start off with about 50 ml and check after an hour.
- Slow cook on low for up to 7 hours.
- You could use this immediately. I batched mine up into 300g servings (enough for 2 large puffs), vacuum sealed and froze them.
- When you are ready to bake the puffs, remove the puff pastry from the fridge for 1 hour before you need to use it and preheat the oven to 220° C (425° F - gas 7), [fan oven 200° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- One standard pack of puff pastry makes 2 large puffs as shown in the photos.
- Add the filling to the middle of the bottom half of the puff pastry and fold the top over to seal. I found that folding the edge over before crimping with the tines of a fork prevented the filling from leaking out, a potentially disastrous event!
- Bake for 25 minutes in the middle of the oven, but check after 20 minutes as they burn easily at this temperature.
- I baked mine on a preheated pizza stone so the base was as crunchy as the top.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#puffpastry #curry #spicycurrypuffs #bake #pizzastone #sauce #slowcooker #servings #mincedbeef #ghee #potatoes