Spicy chicken deep pan pizza pie
How to ensure a crispy base
Having made these deep pan pizzas many, many times, I've found that sometimes it's hard to get the base well cooked without burning the rest of the pizza dough. I've found the best way is to use a meta-based pan, similar to a baking tray. The metal base gets hot enough to crisp the base properly. I have a really heavy rectangular Le Creuset baking tray that is absolutely ideal. It seems a shame as it will mean I'll never use my earthenware deep pan pizza dish again!
- 2 medium chicken breasts chopped very finely.
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (Guajillo - not too hot)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 portion of pizza dough
- Fine yellow cornmeal for dusting
- 110 g (4 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 85 g (3.5 oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large can of chopped peeled tomatoes, left to drain over a coarse sieve for 5 minutes
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 ball of buffalo mozzarella, torn
- Preheat the oven to 190° C (375° F - gas 5), [fan oven 170° C & reduce cooking time by 10 mins per hour]
- Make the dough as instructed
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a hot frying paan or wok and add a good grind of black pepper
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped chicken breasts, the garlic, the chilli flakes and oregano and stir-fry for 3 or 4 minutes just to colour the chicken.
- Spray or lightly oil a deep 25cm (10") pizza dish or pan
- Roll out 2/3rds of the dough to about 3mm and line a pan so the dough just overlaps the edges and trim any excess
- Sprinkle the base with the Cheddar cheese
- Add the chicken mixture
- Sprinkle with one third of the Parmesan cheese
- Roll out the remaining dough to make a lid
- Pinch the lid so it joins the base and make a few slashed in the top for steam to escape
- Mix another third of the Parmesan cheese with the herbs and spices and mix into the tomatoes
- Spread the tomato mixture over the top of the dough
- Top with crumbled mozzarella and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese
- Bake for 45 minutes, resting a sheet of tin-foil on top of the pizza for the final 10 minutes
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving
Serve with a green salad
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.