Sous vide beef prime topside joint
An experiment at sous vide cooking a beef roasting joint to rare/medium rare. This is being cooked for a friend for looking after our boys - Meow!
Cook sous vide for 10 hours at 57°C (134.6°F)
- 625 g prime topside - The underside had a layer of fat which I left intact after much work with the tenderiser.
- 4 spring onions
- Bunch of sage
- 2 bay leaves
- Bunch of thyme
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- Stamp the join all over with a meat tenderiser
- Seal one end of a vacuum bag
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Paint the joint with 1 tablespoon of English mustard
- Add the joint to the bag, hold it closed and shake it to distribute the salt and pepper
- Arrange the spring onions and herbs equally around the joint
- Vacuum seal
- Cook sous vide for 10 hours at 57°C (134.6°F)
- After 10 hours, open the bag and discard everything but the beef, you might have to pick some of the twiggy bits out as they can get 'buried'
- Seal the joint for 2 minutes in a very hot pan that is lightly oiled, blowtorch can also be used
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate and store for cold sliced beef
- Sous vide cooking
- Category:Sous vide recipes
- Sous vide cooking times
- How to cook sous vide meat to different levels of doneness
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures
- SousVide Supreme sous vide cooker
- Anova Standalone sous-vide water heater and circulator
- Home made sous-vide slow cooker conversion kit
- Vacuum sealer (generic)
- Andrew James Professional Quality Vacuum Food Sealer Machine
- Vacuum sealed containers
- Andrew James 8.5 Litre Professional Sous Vide Water Bath Cooker
- Burton Sous Vide Water Bath
- Can the Crockpot Slow cooker and Multi cooker be used as a sous vide bath?
A special treat
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#sousvide #englishmustard #springonions #sousvidecooking #meattenderiser #bayleaves #fat #herbs #sage #blowtorch #vacuumseal