Sopa de Maní - Peanut soup (V)
This is one version from Ecuador, but there are many variations throughout Latin America.
Home-made pasta is so easy to make!
- 900 g floury potatoes
- 40 ml peanut oil or melted butter
- 200 g peanuts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 850 ml vegetable stock
- 140 ml single cream
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and boil the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, gently heat the oil or butter in a frying pan and add the peanuts.
- Fry until they are just beginning to change colour slightly and drain.
- Place the peanuts in a blender or food processor and add the onion and garlic to the pan.
- Fry until golden and add them to the peanuts.
- Drain and chop the potatoes and place in the blander as well, adding some of the stock.
- Process until smooth and our the mixture into a saucepan with the remaining stock.
- Add the cream and heat though.
- Season to taste.
When buying the peanuts try to find natural ones still in their skins. There is no need to remove the skins. Only use the roasted sort that you get in pubs as a last resort, in which case do not fry them and reduce or leave out the salt.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.