Skate wings in peppery black butter with fennel seeds
In all the years Cookipedia has been running, I've not put this recipe up. Time to rectify that!
- 2 Skate wings
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 10 new potatoes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 fresh lemon
- Pop the fennel seeds and the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and smash them up. Don't worry if you can't get the fennel seeds to a powder, the flaky bits are fine.
- Shake the smashed spices onto a plate and coat either side of the skate wings
- Repeat the same process with the flour so the wings are well covered.
- Using two pans if you can, heat the pans to medium, when hot add a teaspoon of butter to each pan, the moment it starts to sizzle and colour, ad a splash of olive oil to each pan, mix well and slide the skate wings into the pan.
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile steam the potatoes and microwave the peas.
- I got the inspiration to try this recipe from reading Jamie Oliver's 'Great Britain Recipe Book' one rainy Sunday afternoon.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.