Selery z serem (Celeriac with cheese)
Polish style celeriac 'au gratin'
- 900 g celeriac, peeled
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 350 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 50 g butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 150 ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour, mixed to a paste with 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons lightly toasted fresh breadcrumbs
- Half fill a large pan with lightly salted water.
- Bring to the boil and add the whole but peeled celeriac and the vinegar.
- Boil for about 20 minutes or until slightly soft.
- Drain, and when cool enough to handle, cut the celeriac into 3 mm slices.
- Grease a large casserole dish and fill with alternate layers of celeriac and cheese, dotting each layer with butter and sprinkled salt, pepper and sugar.
- Finish with a layer of cheese.
- In a bowl, mix the sour cream and the flour and water mixture.
- Pour over the top of the cheese.
- Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180° C (350° F - gas 4).
- If the top has not browned, you can finish it off under a hot grill.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.