Red lentil kedgeree with avocado and tomato
This recipe needs advance preparation!
A vegetarian slant on the popular Indian breakfast dish that is perfect for a light supper or snack.
This recipe does not need preparing in advance, but as supermarkets seem unable to sell ripe avocados at a reasonable price, if at all, it might be worth buying unripe avocados, leaving them on a window sill until nice and soft and making this recipe when they are just right.
- 150 g basmati rice
- 150 g red lentils
- 15 g ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons korma, Madras or vindaloo curry paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ripe avocado
- 4 tomatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, sliced to garnish
- Chopped spring onions (optional)
- Thinly sliced raw onions (optional)
- Soak the rice and lentils in cold water for 10 minutes, drain well.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan and sautee the onion gently for 5 minutes
- Add the crushed garlic and the korma paste and stir-fry for a few minutes
- Tip in the rice and lentils and bay leaf, stir to coat with oil.
- Add the stock, stir once and bring to the boil.
- Simmer, covered for 15 minutes - check that the lentils and rice are properly cooked. If they are not cooked after 15 minutes, sprinkle a little more water over them if they are drying out and give them another 5 minutes. Some lentils take longer than others.
- Peel and dice the avocado and toss in the lemon juice, chop the tomatoes and coriander and mix in with the avocados.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the rice and red lentils, topped with the tomatoes, avocados and herbs.
Serve garnished with lime slices.
After making this a few times we discovered that raw onions with a splash of lemon juice made a contrasting and refreshing garnish.
Add 3 or 4 cloves of peeled and crushed garlic with the onions.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#rice #lentils #butter #avocados #onion #redlentilkedgereewithavocadoandtomato #lemonjuice #coriander #avocado #bayleaf #lime