Quick beef stroganov
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 275 g beef sirloin steak, cut into thin 5cm strips
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 15 g butter
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced. see the shallots page for how to peel them easily.
- 125 g Chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoon brandy or sherry
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 150 ml carton soured cream
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together and dredge the sirloin strips in the flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a wok and when sizzling, add the shallots.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add the mushrooms. Cook for a further 2 minutes them remove and reserve with a slotted spoon, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the beef on sauté until browned (about 3 minutes)
- Add the brandy and set alight with a match. When the flames die down, add the shallots and mushrooms back to the wok.
- Stir-fry for a few more minutes until the beef is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the head and stir in the soured cream. Don't allow the cream to boil or it will split.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.