Porotos granados (Bean and vegetable stew)
- 225 g haricot beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- Garlic to taste, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- Red chillies, to taste, finely chopped
- 225 g sweetcorn
- 450 g pumpkin, marrow or squash, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 450 g tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped or 1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil - see the comments page
- Seasoning to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans and place in a large pan.
- Cover with water, bring to the boil and boil vigorously for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-1½ hours until tender.
- Drain and set aside, reserving half of the bean liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and paprika and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes to blend the flavours.
- Add some bean liquid if necessary and continuing simmering until the marrow or squash has disintegrated.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.