Pebre chileno (Chilean hot pepper sauce)
This is a spicy salsa from Chile.
- 2 large firm tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 hot green or red chillies, diced and seeds removed if desired
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaved parsley, finely chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onion, chillies, coriander, parsley and garlic.
- Mix with a dressing made from the oil, lemon juice or wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for at least 3 hours before serving.
It can be difficult to decide which chillies to use. This recipe calls for hot chillies, but I would not go so far as to use 2 habañero chillies, for example. Serrano or jalapeño chillies would probably be about right. I would advise that you taste any chillies before adding them to this or other recipes.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.