Pork and bean cassoulet (slow cooker recipe)
I cooked this for 4 hours on medium though it could be cooked for longer on the low setting.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 675g thick pork belly strips. [4 strips]
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger (2.5 cm), peeled and grated (optional)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g tin kidney beans
- 1x 400g tin black beans
- 1x 400g tin chick peas
- 600ml chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of unsmoked paprika powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the pork belly and cook until browned.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, drained beans, the stock, and bay leaf and season.
- Bring to the boil then carefully add to the slow-cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high.
Serve with crusty bread
This could be made with any type of cooked (tinned) bean
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#porkbelly #celery #bread #onion #tomatoes #beans #garlic #ginger #kidneybeans #chickpeas #sageleaves