Pollo con arroz (Chicken with Rice)
Throughout Latin America and the Caribbean, it is known as Arroz con pollo (Rice with chicken) but this Paraguayan version of the dish reverses the ingredient names in the title.
You could reduce the amount of rice if making this for less than 6 people. Allow a maximum of 75g uncooked rice per person and double the volume of liquid to rice. Eg: 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water or stock.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.35-1.6kgs chicken pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet pepper of any colour, seeded and chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- Small pinch of saffron, crumbled
- 400g long-grain rice
- To remove the starch for the rice, rinse in a sieve under cold running water until it runs clear. Allow to drain.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan and sauté the chicken pieces until they are golden on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a flame-proof casserole.
- In the oil remaining in the pan, sauté the onion and pepper until they are soft.
- Add to the casserole with the tomatoes, seasoning, 425ml of the chicken stock and the saffron.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes, turning the chicken pieces once to ensure they cook properly.
- Add the remaining stock to the casserole, add the rice and the reserved solids, stir to mix and bring a boil over a fairly brisk heat.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the rice.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook over a very low heat until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Serve directly from the caserole.
If desired, artichoke hearts may be scattered through the chicken
I'm afraid I have to add garlic and chili to most dishes. This has been no exception. I added 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped, 1 teaspoon of dried diced chilli pasilla & 1 teaspoon of dried diced chili ancho. I think it might have been a little bland without.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #casserole #rice #garlic #chickenstock #onion #saffron #dicedchiliancho #artichokehearts #arrozconpollo #boil