Poached pears with chocolate sauce
I promised Tim a pear recipe, here it is Tim. Sorry that it's 9 months late!
- 6 whole pears, peeled and cored, leave the stalk on for presentation
- 750 ml (1 pint) red wine
- 250g (9 0z) caster sugar
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 1 small sprig of thyme, washed
- 3 whole star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 75 g (2.5 oz) Green & Blacks Organic Chocolate, cut into pieces
- 75 g (2.5 oz) warm butter
- 75 g (2.5 oz) double cream
- 75 g (2.5 oz) cocoa powder
- 75 g (2.5 oz) water
- 75 g (2.5 oz) jaggery, muscovado sugar or caster sugar
- Add the wine, sugar, spices and herbs to a large pan and bring to the boil
- Reduce to a simmer and site the pears in the poaching liquid. Turn them regularly if they are not completely covered.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pears and set to one side.
- Bring the liquor back to the boil and reduce to a syrup.
- Add the butter, cream, sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate and water to a pan over a low heat and mix until well combined.
- Heat for another 5 minutes until thickened a little.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.