(Redirected from Pizza Margherita recipe)
- Half quantity of pizza dough
- Garlic, peeled and chopped, to taste
- Olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Basil or other herbs, chopped, to taste
- Polenta (for granite method)
- 250 g Mozzarella cheese, chopped or sliced
- Black olives
- Roll thinly and shape the pizza dough, place onto a baking sheet and leave to rise until double its size.
- If using the oven, preheat it to 220° C (425° F - gas 7)
- Using a saucepan, lightly fry the garlic in a little oil.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and herbs.
- Bring to the boil and allow the mixture to reduce until it is thick.
- If using the oven, spread the tomato mixture over the top of the dough, together with the cheese and olives and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- If using the granite pizza stone, preheat the grill with the stone about 5-8 cm underneath it. You can use baking tins or other heatproof objects to keep it at the correct height.
- Sprinkle some polenta on the hot granite, to prevent the pizza from sticking.
- Carefully transfer the dough to the granite and grill for a minute or two on either side.
- Quickly spread the tomato mixture, cheese and olives over the top and grill until the cheese has melted.
Please don't do what I did and place the granite on top of the grill pan. I tried to lift it from under the grill and the weight of the granite broke the grill handle off.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#pizzamargherita #tomato #grill #tomatoes #pizza #cheese #garlic #pizzadough #fry #dough #herbs