From Cookipedia(Redirected from Pickled garlic)
- 14 whole garlic bulbs, topped, tailed and peeled
- 500 ml lemon juice (about 15 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 100 g (4 oz) dried chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 300 ml sesame oil
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and add to a sterilised 1 litre preserving jar.
- Add the salt and garlic cloves and set to one side for 5 days to pickle.
- After 5 days, heat 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil and fry the chillies and fenugreek seeds. Ensure the kitchen is very well ventilated or if you can, do this outside!
- Remove from the oil, allow to cool.
- Add the chilli mixture and remaining oil to a sterilised 1.5 litre (1 x 1 litre and 1 x 500ml ) preserving jar, shake well and seal.
- It should be ready to eat in two weeks.
If your garlic is quite young there may be a chemical reaction with lemon juice and vinegar, which will can cause it to turn bluish-green. This is nothing to worry about and the garlic is perfectly safe to eat.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.