Pea and potato curry
- 700 g (1.5 lb) scrubbed potatoes
- 25 g (1 oz) ghee or butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 400 g (just under 1 lb) frozen peas, defrosted.
- 400ml canned coconut milk
- Part-cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes
- Drain, cool and then cut into bite-sized chunks
- Gently sauté the onions, garlic and ginger in the ghee for 10 minutes
- Add the curry paste, optional spices and fry for a further few minutes, mixing well
- Add the peas, potatoes, salt and coconut milk, cover and simmer for 20 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked
I have deliberately kept this recipe very simple. If you use a good quality curry paste you will be surprised how good the results are without adding any other spices. However, if you have them, adding a few whole spices adds another dimension without much extra effort. Try adding the following whole spices when you fry the onions:
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole white cumin seeds
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.