Organic rooster and caramelised onion rosti
Albert Bartlett products can be found in most UK supermarkets. You can find out more about their products at http://albertbartlett.co.uk.
- 1.5kg Organic Rooster Potatoes
- 60g Organic unsalted butter
- 3 Organic Onions
- 3tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- Par cook the potatoes in simmering salted water.
- Drain the potatoes, leave to cool, then peel.
- Chill for at least an hour.
- Peel and thinly slice the onions.
- Heat 1tbs of the vegetable oil in a heavy based saucepan, add 20g of the butter and heat till foaming.
- Add the sliced onion and cook over a low to medium heat till the onion is a deep golden colour.
- Tip the onion onto a plate to cool.
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C/37°5F/Gas 5
- Coarsely grate the potato into a large bowl, season with freshly ground pepper, add the caramelized onions and mix carefully.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat till almost smoking, add the remaining butter and heat till foaming.
- Add the grated potato, and flatten into a cake with a fish slice. Continue to heat over a medium heat till the edges of the cake start to turn golden brown, this should take 10 min.
- With the aid of a fish slice flip the cake over in the frying pan, return the pan to the heat for 5 min, shake the pan gently to make sure the cake is loose and not sticking.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook for 30 min until the cake is an even golden brown.
- Slide the cake onto a warmed plate and cut into wedges.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
This recipe originated from the recipe section of the now inactive www.albert-bartlett.co.uk