Navarin de mouton aux pommes de terre
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- Oil or lard
- 750g leg or shoulder of mutton, cubed and seasoned
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- A pinch of sugar
- Garlic to taste, crushed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 litre meat stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée or 100g freshly pulped tomatoes
- 1 bouquet garni
- 400g potatoes, peeled and chopped into pieces the size of large olives
- 24 small pickling onions
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Add the seasoned mutton and the onion.
- When the mutton cubes are well seared, pour of some of the fat.
- Add the sugar and cook until the onion begins to caramelise.
- Stir and the garlic and cook briefly - do not allow it to burn
- Mix in the flour, hot stock, tomato purée or pulped tomatoes and the bouquet garni.
- Cover, and cook gently for an hour.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a pan, add the pickling onions and a large pinch of sugar.
- Cook until the onions are caramelised and set aside.
- At the end of the cooking time for the mutton, add the potatoes and pickling onions.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer, covered, until the potatoes are cooked.
Serve with a bowl of seasonal vegetables.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.