This recipe is reproduced from the Chili lime deli's newsletter, with the kind permission of owner, John Caffrey
- 1 tablespoon dried mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 225 g (8 oz) fresh chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 350 g (12 oz) Arborio rice
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) dry white wine
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) hot vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Soak the mushrooms in just boiled water for 10 minutes - reserve the liquor to add to the stock
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and garlic for 4 minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 4 minutes until coloured
- Stir in the rice and coat well with the oil
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it has been absorbed into the rice
- Add a ladle of the stock, stir gently and simmer until the stock has been absorbed. Repeat until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is plump and tender.
- Roughly chop the soaked mushrooms, stir into the risotto with the butter. Season to taste and serve immediately
When adding the stock a ladle at a time, don't be tempted to hurry this stage. Always wait until the last ladle has been absorbed before adding the next - it's going to take about 20 minutes to complete.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#mushrooms #stock #rice #parmesancheese #mushroomrisotto #butter #simmer #grated #vegetablestock #oliveoil #drywhitewine