- Preheat deep fat fryer to 175°C (350°F)
- Preheat deep fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice mozzarella into cubes 2-3 cm on a side.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg.
- Fill another small bowl with bread crumbs.
- Dip 5-6 bites at a time into the egg.
- Shake excess egg off the bites and place them in the bread crumbs.
- Shake bowl of bread crumbs, evenly coating all bites. Add more bread crumbs as needed.
- Place coated bites to the side and repeat for remaining bites.
- After all bites have been coated, repeat the egg-dip and crumb-coat for each once more.
- Place all bites in fryer basket and submerge in 175°C oil.
- Let sit for 30 seconds, gently rocking basket occasionally.
- Lift basket and let cool for a few seconds. If cheese is not beginning to ooze out from half the sticks, re-submerge in oil for another 10-15 seconds, gently shaking the basket. Repeat until the cheese is just starting to ooze out.
- Dump onto paper towel and pat off excess oil gently.
Try Mozzarella sticks, identical recipe but the result is breaded cheese sticks rather than bites.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.