Mexican chilli peanuts
I've made these plenty of times before now, but the tip in Diana Kennedy's wonderful Mexican cookbook, Essential cuisines of Mexico ISBN 9780307587725, makes all the difference: "don't use chilli powder, make your own by grinding up dried Chile de Arbole. The Cool Chile co can supply these.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup, 250 ml raw unsalted shelled peanuts, brown papery skins removed and discarded
- 10 Cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoon powdered chile de arbole
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Lime wedges to garnish
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot but not smoking
- Tip the peanuts into the oil and fry for 1 minute, keeping them moving all the while
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, again, stirring constantly
- Reduce the heat, add the chilli and salt and stir fry for a further minute
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before serving
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.