Mehudehra (Albanian Garlic soup)
See your street as it was 11 years ago! ...
- 2 tablespoons butter (see Chef's notes below)
- 6 or more cloves of garlic, crushed (see Chef's notes below)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (Hungarian is probably best for this)
- 1.7 litres vegetable stock
- 75 g vermicelli, broken into 2.5 cm pieces
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaved parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the garlic.
- Fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes (do not allow to burn).
- Stir in the paprika and immediately add the water and bring to the boil.
- Add the vermicelli and seasonings, and reduce the heat.
- Allow to simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and simmer for a further couple of minutes.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with the parsley.
If, like me, you feel that 6 Cloves of garlic is a bit tame, do increase the amount to as much as you want. However, you must take into account that you may need to increase the amount of butter accordingly.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.