Mehudehra (Albanian Garlic soup)
- 2 tablespoons butter (see Chef's notes below)
- 6 or more cloves of garlic, crushed (see Chef's notes below)
- 2 teaspoons paprika (Hungarian is probably best for this)
- 1.7 litres vegetable stock
- 75 g vermicelli, broken into 2.5 cm pieces
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaved parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the butter in a large pan and add the garlic.
- Fry over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes (do not allow to burn).
- Stir in the paprika and immediately add the water and bring to the boil.
- Add the vermicelli and seasonings, and reduce the heat.
- Allow to simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mint and simmer for a further couple of minutes.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with the parsley.
If, like me, you feel that 6 Cloves of garlic is a bit tame, do increase the amount to as much as you want. However, you must take into account that you may need to increase the amount of butter accordingly.
#butter #mint #simmer #paprika #garlic #vegetablestock #italian #litres #unusualrecipes #pasta #boil