Mattar paneer - Indian cheesy peas.
This recipe gives you the option to make your own authentic paneer too if you wish.
For making your own paneer
- 250 g (1/2 lb) cubed paneer or pressed cottage cheese (queso blanco)
- Ghee (start from point 7 in the method with the latter ingredients)
- Sterilise all equipment
Making your own paneer
- Boil the milk, twice, leaving it to cool for 10 minutes in between boils, stirring well to prevent burning.
- Squeeze in lemon juice to split the milk.
- Cover a separate pan with a muslin cloth or a clean tea-towel and pour the milk through it to separate the curds and whey.
- Reserve the whey, as it's useful to cook rice in.
- Hang the curds in the cloth for a whole day to allow the remaining whey to drip out.
- After this time, place the curds in the cloth under a weight to flatten into a cake.
- Cut the paneer into cubes and fry in hot ghee until coloured a little, and place on one side
- 450 g (1 lb) peas
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 2.5 cm (1") piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- Sea salt to taste
Peas and spices
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan or wok and fry the ginger and onions for 4 minutes
- Add all of the spices and salt and stir fry for a minute.
- Add the peas, a few tablespoons of water and cook the peas until done and a little spicy gravy is left
- Add the paneer cubes and boil for 5 minutes
Serve hot with chapattis
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#mattarpaneer #ghee #peas #fry #spices #onions #boil #ginger #whey #lemon #curds