A flatbread from northern India. This recipe is based on one from Gordon Ramsay's book Gordon Ramsay's Great Escape (ISBN 0007267053) and has been adapted for use with a Panasonic breadmaker and tortilla press.
- For the Panasonic SD253 breadmaker and similar models, use the pizza setting.
- For the Panasonic SD-ZB2502 automatic breadmaker use menu option 22, pizza dough.
- Place the ingredients in the breadmaker in the order given in your manufacturer's instruction book.
- Use the pizza dough setting or the shortest dough setting that your machine has.
- Remove from pan an allow to rest, covered, in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal sized balls.
- Press each ball into a thin circle using the tortilla press.
- Cover the chapattis as you press them.
- Brush a small frying pan lightly with oil and heat to medium.
- Cook each chapatti until it starts to bubble.
- Turn and cook for a further minute or two until brown speckles from and it has puffed up.
- Keep warm and covered until you have cooked all of the chapattis.
- Serve straight away.
Serve with curries and dahls.
Any breadmaker will be fine, so long as you follow your manufacturer's instructions. A tortilla press is not necessary, but useful. If you do not have one, roll out the dough between two sheets of Bake-O-Glide or similar.
If you don't have a tortilla press, use 2 chopping boards or just two sheets of wood as a substitute. Place ball of dough between two non-stick surfaces such as small squares of Bake-O-Glide and stand on them!
See the Tortilla Press page for UK suppliers.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#chapattis #tortillapress #dough #breadmaker #puffed #curries #flour #dryfried #brush #pizzadough #refrigerator