Manhattan cocktail recipe
A Manhattan is a cocktail made with whiskey, sweet vermouth, and bitters. Commonly used whiskeys include rye (the traditional choice), Canadian whisky, bourbon, blended whiskey and Tennessee whiskey. The cocktail is often stirred with ice and strained into a cocktail glass, where it is garnished with a maraschino cherry with a stem.
- Mix ingredients together over ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a cherry.
- A Rob Roy is made with Scotch whisky.
- A Chivas Manhattan is made with 1 ½ ounces Chivas Regal Scotch, ½ ounce vanilla liqueur and a dash of bitters
- A Dry Manhattan is made with dry vermouth instead of sweet vermouth and served with a twist. Dry Manhattans were popularized by Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack.
- A Perfect Manhattan is made with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth.
- A Brandy Manhattan is made with brandy rather than rye.
- A Ruby Manhattan is made with port rather than vermouth.
- A Metropolitan is similar to a brandy Manhattan, but with a 3-to-1 ratio of cognac or brandy to vermouth.
- A Cuban Manhattan is a Perfect Manhattan with dark rum as its principal ingredient.
- A Latin Manhattan is made with equal parts of white rum, sweet and dry vermouth, and a splash of Maraschino cherry juice, served up with a twist.
- A Leeroy Jenkins is made with an olive garnish instead of a cherry and often prepared with dry vermouth as a Dry or Perfect Manhattan. It was invented in Portland, Oregon and enjoys a special popularity in that region.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#vermouth #whiskey #brandy #bitters #rye #cherry #sweetvermouth #bourbon #manhattancocktailrecipe #maraschinocherry #cocktailglass