Macaroni with four cheeses
Access Google's Street View and see 10 years of video history! ...
- 250 g (9 oz) dried macaroni
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter
- 40 g (1½ oz) plain flour
- 600 ml /(1pint) milk
- 110 g (4 oz) grated Gruyère cheese
- 110 g (4 oz) grated Emmental cheese
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes (optional)
- 50 g (2oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- 50 g (2oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes; drain well and set to one side.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a pan slightly and add the flour, stir to form a roux, cooking for a few minutes.
- Whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes until you have a thick, smooth sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the Gruyère and Emmental and stir well until the cheese has melted and combined into the sauce.
- Season with black pepper.
- Sprinkle the chili flakes into the cheese sauce, if using, and mix well.
- Tip the macaroni into the sauce and mix well. Pour the mixture into a deep ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan and Cheddar over the top and place under the grill until the cheese has melted and some of the macaroni has crisped up a little.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.