Lemon pickle (with anise)
- 8 unwaxed lemons
- ½ cup of salt
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 4 small green chillies
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seed
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 to 3 whole star anise pods
- Wash the lemons in very hot water and dry thoroughly
- Halve the lemons and remove the pips
- Cut lemons into small pieces, and place in a bowl
- Cover with salt and set aside for at least 24 hours
- Chop the chillies finely.
- Dry-roast the yellow mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, star anise, and chopped chillies on a high heat, shaking constantly - don't burn them!
- Strain the juice from the lemons into a small saucepan, add the turmeric, ginger and sugar, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. If there isn't enough juice, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Add the spices and sugar mixture to the bowl of lemons, and mix together well.
- Pack into a pint jar, pressing the pieces in if needed, to ensure that the liquid covers all the lemon pieces.
- Set aside to mature for 1 month.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.