Lebanese za'atar spice mix recipe
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac berries
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine everything except the sea salt and 1 tablespoon of roasted sesame seeds
- Grind in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder
- Mix in the sea salt and the remaining sesame seeds
- Store in an airtight container, out of the light, for up to 2 months. It begins to lose its flavour if it'd stored any longer.
Mixed with olive oil it makes a spread called za'atar-wu-zayt as a dip for the sesame bread rings known as ka'ak.
It is often eaten as a breakfast snack, sprinkled on labneh (yogurt that has been drained until it becomes a tangy, creamy cheese).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.