Za'atar spice mix recipe
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons savory
- 2 teaspoons dried ground marjoram
- 8 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- Zest of a lemon, very finely chopped
- Zest of a lime, very finely chopped
- Roughly grind the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder, set aside
- Make a finer grind of the remaining ingredients
- Mix the two together
- Store in an airtight container, out of the light, for up to 2 months. It begins to lose its flavour if it's stored any longer.
You can spread it on a dough base and bake it as bread, in which case it is called manaeesh bi za'atar.
It is often eaten as a breakfast snack, sprinkled on labneh (yogurt that has been drained until it becomes a tangy, creamy cheese).
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#zaatarspicemixrecipe #oliveoil #sumac #zest #meats #oregano #coffeegrinder #hummus #basil #savory #groundmarjoram