Klasická česnečka (Classic Czech garlic soup)
Who can resist another recipe for garlic soup? This is a traditional version from the Czech Republic.
- A knob of butter
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 litres stock - this can a vegetable consommé or a standard broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons hard cheese. diced
- Ham, diced (optional)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, and sauté the garlic until golden. Reserve.
- Add the stock and potatoes to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are cooked - about 10 minutes or so.
- Return the garlic to the pan and add the marjoram and egg - pour the egg in a thin stream.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve in soup bowls in which you have placed cubes of cheese and the diced ham, if using.
- Garnish with the croutons.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.