Kesksou bil djedj - couscous with chicken (slow cooker recipe)
- 1.3 kg boneless chicken pieces, cubed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground cumin seeds
- Up to 1 teaspoon salt. Do check the chicken stock first as some can be very salty so no extra salt should be needed.
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and sliced.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 ml olive oil
- Enough chicken stock to cover the ingredients of the slow cooker. Top up with boiling water if needed.
- About 360 g dried couscous, [ 550 g couscous (cooked weight) ] - see couscous cooking instructions
- Freshly chopped parsley or coriander leaves
- 15 g Toasted almond slices
- Put all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on a low setting.
- Prepare the couscous as shown here.
- To serve make a bed with the couscous and pour the chicken mixture over it.
I made a similar recipe last week and again, I found Morrison's chicken prohibitively expensive, but a whole 1600g turkey leg for £4.50 was an absolute bargain. This time I used half and froze the rest.
I you want a thicker gravy, you could stir in a tablespoon or so, of fine cornmeal 30 minutes before the end of cooking.
If using a whole turkey leg or similar, cut deep slashes in the meat so it cooks really well.
Recipes such as this really do lend themselves to personal variation. Almost any vegetables can be added to this, but bear in mind that some might turn to mush after the prolonged cooking time in a slow cooker, eg: courgettes. If possible, pop these in when there is just a few hours left.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#couscous #chicken #diced #slowcooker #turnip #coriander #parsley #chickpeas #cinnamon #cornmeal #carrots