Kesksou bil djedj (Couscous with chicken)
A couscous recipe from Algeria.
- 1.3 kg boneless chicken pieces, cubed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 10 sprigs parsley, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs coriander finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1.9 litres hot water or chicken stock
- 360 g dried couscous, [ 550 g couscous (cooked weight) ] - see couscous cooking instructions
- Put all the ingredients excluding the water and couscous in a large pan and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the water or stock, bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous.
- To serve make a bed with the couscous and pour the chicken mixture over it.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#couscous #chicken #diced #turmeric #oliveoil #turnip #litres #boil #chickpeas #carrots #onions