Iscas a Lisboa (Lisbon liver)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
This liver speciality from Lisbon should be started the preceding day.
- 280 ml dry white wine
- 30 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- Garlic, to taste, crushed
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 675 g pig's or lamb's liver, thinly sliced
- 30 ml olive oil
- 110 g smoked back bacon, diced
- In a large bowl, mix the wine, vinegar, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns, cloves, salt and liver.
- Cover and keep in the fridge overnight, turning the liver from time to time.
- Remove the liver and pat the slices dry.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the bacon and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the liver and cook for 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the liver and bacon to a heated dish.
- Strain the marinade into the pan and boil quickly until reduced and thickened.
- Pour over the liver and serve.
Before frying, I dredged the liver pieces in a tablespoon of plain flour and a tablespoon of cornmeal, seasoned with salt and pepper and also added 6 thinly sliced button mushrooms. A very nice dish, we will have this again.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user, I think you'll find this feature useful.
#liver #bayleaf #garlic #peppercorns #winevinegar #cornmeal #marinade #miseenplace #buttonmushrooms #panfried #whitewinevinegar