Hollandse erwtensoep (Dutch pea soup)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 375 ml (not grams) green split peas, soaked overnight
- 3 litres water or ham stock
- 2 pigs trotters or ham hocks
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Leaves from 1 bunch of celery
- 250 g fatty ham, chopped or 1 large smoked sausage or 250 g frankfurters, sliced
- 12 Slices of pumpernickel
- Drain the peas and put them in a large pan with the water or stock, pigs trotters or hocks and the salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- Add the remaining vegetables and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the pigs' trotters or hock and remove the ham, sausage or frankfurters.
- Remove some of the ham or sausage and place on buttered pumpernickel.
- Serve the soup separately in bowls.
--JuliaBalbilla 13:30, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#ham #sausage #stock #simmer #frankfurters #pigstrotters #celery #splitpeas #potatoes #boil #litres