Hollandse erwtensoep (Dutch pea soup)
- 375 ml (not grams) green split peas, soaked overnight
- 3 litres water or ham stock
- 2 pigs trotters or ham hocks
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Leaves from 1 bunch of celery
- 250 g fatty ham, chopped or 1 large smoked sausage or 250 g frankfurters, sliced
- 12 Slices of pumpernickel
- Drain the peas and put them in a large pan with the water or stock, pigs trotters or hocks and the salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- Add the remaining vegetables and simmer for a further 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard the pigs' trotters or hock and remove the ham, sausage or frankfurters.
- Remove some of the ham or sausage and place on buttered pumpernickel.
- Serve the soup separately in bowls.
--JuliaBalbilla 13:30, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.