Split peas are the dried, peeled and split seeds of Pisum sativum. They come in yellow and green varieties. They have been mechanically split so that they will cook faster.
Split peas are similar to, but not the same as lentils.
Green and yellow split peas are commonly used to make pea soup, and pease pudding.
How much does one cup of split peas weigh?
Estimated US cup to weight equivalents:
|225 grams||8 ounces|
|100 grams||4 ounces|
Every ingredient has a cups to ounces or grams conversion table. Search for the ingredient, cup to weight conversions are at the end of each ingredient page.
How to cook lentils or split-peas in a pressure cooker
Use this basic guide if you do not have a specific recipe
- Pick through the beans and discard any discoloured beans or loose skins
- Soak in cold water for a minimum of the time shown, soaking overnight is usually the best way to achieve this
- Change soaking water a few times if possible
- Never cook the beans in the water they were soaked in
- Rinse the beans well at the end of the soaking period
- Ensure the pressure cooker is at least a quarter full
- Never fill the pressure cooker more than half full
- Always cover the beans with at least 5 cm (2") water
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the water - this reduces foaming
- Allow the pressure cooker to get to the required pressure and then begin timing
- Use the specified pressure release method - this is the natural method in the case of dried beans or pulses
- A bean is usually perfectly cooked when it can be easily squashed between your forefinger and thumb
- If the beans are not sufficiently cooked, return to pressure, cook for another 3 minutes and allow the pressure to reduce using the natural method.
Re-check that the beans are cooked to your liking.
|BEAN VARIETY||COLD WATER SOAK TIME
|PRESSURE COOKING TIME||COOKING PRESSURE
High = 15 psi
Medium = 10 psi
Low = 5 psi
|PRESSURE RELEASE METHOD|
|Lentils or Split peas||None||7 minutes||High||Natural|
- Instructions and pressure cooking times for more than 20 types of bean
- Detailed index and cooking information for more than 20 bean varieties
- Pressure cooking information and pressure cooking recipes
#splitpeas #pressurecooker #naturalmethod #beans #peasepudding #portionsperpersonlookup #vegetables #pulses #pressurereleasemethod #naturalpressurereleasemethod #driedbeans