Hoisin chicken with mushrooms and walnuts
(Redirected from Hoisin chicken with mushrooms and walnuts recipe)
This recipe needs advance preparation!
- 450 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 4 Cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2.5cm (1") of fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
- 4 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- * That's 4 if they are nice fat spring onions, 8 or more if they are miserable examples from the supermarket!
- 175 g (6 oz) button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Whisk the egg-white, cornflour and sherry in a bowl
- Chop the chicken into thin, bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl, mix well and leave to marinade for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat half of the oil in a wok until almost smoking and add the chicken, jiggle the wok a little to prevent the chicken sticking, but turn as little as possible. Stir-fry for 4 or 5 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add the remaining oil, throw in the ginger, garlic and half of the spring onions and stir-fry until the garlic starts to colour a little.
- Add the mushrooms and walnuts and stir fry until the mushrooms wilt a little.
- Pour the hoisin sauce over the chicken and heat until the hoisin sauce starts to bubble.
- Serve immediately and sprinkle with the remaining spring onions.
- Add a selection of your favourite vegetables at stage 5.
- Add a few chopped Indian green chillies at stage 5 for a bit more bite.
- Use shiitake mushrooms if you can get them.
There is no need to peel ginger. As a result of attending a Thai cookery demo, we have learnt that peeling ginger is unnecessary unless for aesthetic purposes as the skin is high in fibre and full of flavour. However, do remove any bits that have become tough or woody.
Almost all of Cookipedia's recipe pictures have now been uploaded to Pinterest which is a very convenient way to browse through them, all in one huge board, or by individual categories. If you're a Pinterest user you'll find this feature useful.
#chicken #hoisinsauce #springonions #hoisinchickenwithmushroomsandwalnuts #garlic #mushrooms #cornflour #noodles #marinade #walnut #drysherry