A buttery chicken recipe from Georgia in the Caucasus.
- 1 kg boneless chicken pieces, chopped into smallish chunks
- 60 g melted butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cloves
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, crushed
- 120 ml white wine vinegar
- Heat the butter in a deep frying pan, add a good grind of black pepper then add the chicken.
- Fry for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is golden.
- Remove from the pan and reserve.
- In the same pan. fry the onions until soft.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the spices, salt, nuts and vinegar.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add hot water if necessary.
- Add the chopped parsley and serve
Serve with vegetables
Making this for two people (with leftovers) I modified the recipe, below, to suit our tastes. The result was very nice recipe, despite not having garlic or chillies!
- 8 Chicken thighs on the bone, skin removed and deep slashes cut into the flesh to shorten cooking time and absorb more flavours
- Only 4 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons of paprika powder
I added about 120 ml of chicken stock as I though it would be too dry. In the event it would have been fine without.
Graph your Body Mass Index
See your personal Body Mass Index (BMI) plotted on a graph against national averages.